Sunday, December 6, 2009

Polanco and Phils Renew Vows

[Picture: GM Amaro Jr. and old/new Phillie Polanco laugh it up.]

At the same time that the 76ers reacquired Allen Iverson after exactly 3 years of separation, the Phillies again teamed with Placido Polanco after precisely 4 1/2 years apart.

Former 76ers coach Larry Brown said of A.I., "I'm thrilled... I don't think there's any athlete in Philly more loved than him." Phils GM Ruben Amaro Jr. didn't go quite that far in embracing Polanco as his new 3rd baseman (supplanting Pedro Feliz): "He's not only a tremendous professional and a championship-type player, but he's a championship-type person."

It's unclear (other than $, which the Phils claim to have more of to spend) why they didn't sign Chone Figgins (114 runs, .298 Ave., .395 On Base Percentage), the superstar 3rd baseman on the market who just left Anaheim for Seattle to the tune of 4 years, $36 million. Figgins is soaring at age 31, while Polanco is slowing at 34, coming off the least productive complete season of his career (.285 Ave.).

Polanco is clearly a better choice than the underwhelming Mark DeRosa, who the Phils were seriously considering and probably a wiser pick than Adrian Beltre (48 HR, 121 RBI, .334 in '04), who-- despite his significant power-- S.O. 74 times to 19 walks in '09, when his numbers dipped to a new low at 8 HRs and 44 RBIs. Polanco also offers a better S.O.-BB ratio than Feliz, who the Phils let go, but hasn't played 3rd base since 2002, something Feliz did as well as anyone in the league-- not to mention the camaraderie he earned while winning the World Series with his Philly teammates.

In his statement, Amaro Jr. said of acquiring Polanco: "He changes the structure of the lineup."

Does that mean they might move sacred Rollins off the leadoff spot, which has often enabled his success in short stints, but which the team has refused to consider long term?

Victorino (.292, .358 OBP) is an obvious leadoff man, Rollins (.250, .296 OBP, 70 S.O.) not so much. The Phillies would be better served to bump Rollins to the 7 slot, but faithful Charlie probably will not do that to his team captain-- unless maybe Rollins privately acquiesces to his manager in hopes of benefitting the team and winning another ring.

How potent would this lineup look (provided Polanco returns to form and potential in '10)?:

1) Victorino
2) Polanco (618 at-bats, just 46 S.O. in '09, lifetime .303 Ave., .348 OBP)
3) Utley
4) Howard
5) Werth
6) Ibanez
7) Rollins
8) Ruiz

Polanco, for his part, is saying all the right things:

"Whatever Charlie [Manuel] wants me to do, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just know everyone here plays to win. Chase, Victorino, Rollins, Howard, everybody."

However, he also said, "It seems like you could flip this lineup around and it would still be good, you know?" Hopefully, Rollins hears that as a message to him, which it surely wasn't, but should be.

Utley might be thinking, 'I beat this guy out for the 2nd base job in 2005 (when the 2 began the year platooning), I make a couple costly errors in the playoffs and now he's back?!'

Just kidding. Manuel's love for Utley is often professed, highly warranted and well testified. Although, as a competitive mental note, Utley's defense might be inspired by the man who he had to win a big league position from playing one base over in the infield all season. After all, Polanco is a 2-time Gold Glove winner at 2nd ('07 & '09), one of the only things Chase has never accomplished.

[Picture: You can't win 'em all. Utley gets licked by his dog.]

Polanco had nothing but love for the team that cast him out and the teammates who went on to win it all in his absence:

"The Phillies were always my first choice," he said Thursday. "I played here, I know most of the guys here, I know the city. And they have a pretty good team that's committed to win. I thank all of the other teams that expressed interest in me, but the Phillies were always my first choice."

"I always wanted to be here, I never wanted to leave," Polanco said Thursday. "One of the reasons I wanted to come back is because it's pretty obvious the team is committed to winning. And I want to win. That's it. They asked me if I was willing to play another position and I was like, 'Sure.' I can play third base. I played in college, in St. Louis and I also played some third here. I feel pretty confident about it."

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment